A lot of parents will do anything for their kids except let them be themselves. No rights means no values. Rights protect peoples values. Instead we deny many of the children’s rights that protect and build upon these values. There are approximately 75 million kids under 18 which is 23% of the entire population of 327 million people in the USA and unfortunately a large percentage of these kids are treated like slaves with very little freedom of choice and practically no rights whatsoever. If we don’t respect their rights, how can we expect them to have any values? In not honoring their rights, we are devaluing and destroying their individuality by outsourcing their education to institutions that do not care at all about their futures. Their futures are within them. Humans are either slaves to human nature or masters of human nature. Students are merely subjects subjected to subjects by an authoritarian system of oppression. It works like this:
As an adjective or verb is “being under domination, control, or influence” and “being under dominion, rule, or authority, as of a sovereign, state, or some governing power; owing allegiance or obedience.” This is why schools are so strict about attendance and “falling behind” because once you sign up, you literally owe your allegiance and must be obedient or else. The Google definition for the adjective literally says “dependent” so kids are dependent on schools for a quarter of their lives and then are expected to leap into independence. The Google Definition for the verb says “cause or force to undergo (a particular experience of form of treatment).”
As a noun, it means “a branch of knowledge as a course of study.” Isn’t it funny there called subjects?
Does this sound like free will to you? Does free will even exist at schools? It can’t because you are denying them their own free will to choose to go to school in the first place. Even Montessori schools give the illusion of free will, but that is all smoke & mirrors.
"Compulsory schooling is the dehumanization of human beings." ~ Unschooling.com
Schools are the worst offenders because they not only don’t protect children’s rights, they do the exact opposite by oppressing kids and stripping most, if not all, of their human rights. As a society, we have in large part normalized this treatment of kids as not only acceptable, but really defining that kids should be raised in such a detrimental environment which is why Schools Are Compulsory Depression Centers Where Suicide is Often the Only Escape. Children learn from their experiences through natural consequences which comes from respecting their rights and instilling good values. Here is a good article that discusses Unschooling and the Rights of Children.
Kids are learners, they are naturally motivated and eager to learn, they are always learning, but kids do not learn thru authoritarianism which is the type of forced learning that happens in most all schools, including Montessori schools, and even at home. Fundamental human rights do not exist in school unless they are granted by the school authorities. Children are taught that basic human rights are actually privileges that can be revoked at any time if they do not surrender to the chain of command. Schools are designed to cripple the parent-child relationship and most parents are happy to institutionalize their kids instead of actually raising them. We live in a Nanny State where parents basically give their kids to schools, especially their minds, and allow all the companies and politicians to conform them while make a killing off such a failed system that always has the illusion that schools are improving when that’s never the case. Sadly, once you sever this relationship with your child, they are no longer “your” child. This is why School is a Daycare because parents are buying in hook, line and sinker to the idea that kids are learning in schools when nothing could be further from the truth.
“You will not reap the fruit of individuality in your children if you clone their education.” ~ Marilyn Howshall
“We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of” ~ Edward Bernays
“There can be no greater stretch of arbitrary power than to seize children from their parents, teach them whatever the authorities decree they shall be taught, and expropriate from the parents the funds to pay for the procedure…The intrinsic nature of the power authorized was so little realized that this was called “free education,” the most absolute contradiction of facts by terminology of which the language is capable. Everything about such schools is compulsory, not free ” ~ Isabel Paterson
“No one, of any age, at any time, responds well to being controlled—or patronized. Control triggers one of two responses: rebellion or submission, accompanied by various less than healthy coping mechanisms. It might “work” in the short run, but it’s bound to backfire over time.” ~ Jennifer Lehr
“Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else’s hands, but not you.” ~ Jim Rohn
"Today as always, men fall into two groups: slaves and free men. Whoever does not have two-thirds of his day for himself, is a slave, whatever he may be: a statesman, a businessman, an official, or a scholar" ~ Nietzsche “Human, All Too Human”
(2/3 is 16 hours, you spend the remaining 8 hours sleeping. Unfortunately, most people don’t take ownership of their lives so other people do.)
1) The right to make decisions concerning education
2) Freedom of speech, both at school and off-campus | Children in school learn very early on that free speech is a farce.
5) The right to bodily integrity, including the right to “informed consent” or to refuse medical treatment. Many parents don’t respect their children’s bodily integrity so they drug them and vaccinate them against their will. I don’t know many kids that voluntarily want to be stabbed by a needle and injected with poison. Over 8 Million (11%) of the 74 million kids in the USA are taking psychiatric drugs alone. The percentage of parents that vaccinate their kids is approximately 99% with only about 1% choosing not to vaccinate, especially since many schools across the country force kids to be vaccinated in order to attend the school.
1) Love | “One generation of deeply loving parents would change the brain of the next generation, and with that, the world.” ~ Charles Raison, M.D., Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine
3) Trust | “Trust children. Nothing could be more simple, or more difficult. Difficult because to trust children we must first learn to trust ourselves, and most of us were taught as children that we could not be trusted.” ~ John Holt
5) Freedom | Freedom from oppression, not responsibilities. Freedom is not conditional. Living free in an unfree world.
7) Self-Worth | “The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.” ~ Ayn Rand
"Until you value yourself, you won’t value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.” ~ M. Scott Peck, [The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth]
8) Morality | “Disobedience is not an issue if obedience is not the goal” ~ Daron Quinlan