Jeremy | Pearl Jam

On January 8, 1991, Jeremy Delle, a 15-year-old sophomore, died by suicide with a Smith & Wesson model 19-4 .357 magnum revolver in front of his second-period English class. Delle was described by peers as “real quiet” and known for “acting sad”. Delle was tardy that morning, and after going to his second-period class he was told to get an admittance slip from the school office for arriving late. Delle left the classroom, but instead of going to the school office he went to his locker where he had the revolver concealed, and returned to the classroom with it in his possession. Delle walked to the front of the classroom, and announced “Miss, I got what I really went for”, he then put the barrel of the firearm in his mouth, and pulled the trigger before his teacher or classmates could react.

Lisa Moore, a schoolmate, knew Jeremy from the in-school suspension program: “He and I would pass notes back and forth and he would talk about life and stuff”, she said. “He signed all of his notes, “Write back.” But on Monday January. 7th he wrote, “Later days.” I didn’t know what to make of it. But I never thought this would happen.” The incident inspired the Pearl jam song “Jeremy”. The band’s lead singer, Eddie Vedder, read a newspaper account of the incident and was moved to write the song almost immediately.

LYRICS
At home, drawing pictures of mountain tops
With him on top
Lemon yellow sun, arms raised in a V
And the dead lay in pools of maroon below

Daddy didn’t give attention
Oh, to the fact that mommy didn’t care
King Jeremy the wicked
Oh, ruled his world

Jeremy spoke in class today
Jeremy spoke in class today

Clearly I remember pickin’ on the boy