"Schools were not built for learning."
"Schools are places of unproductive learning, so you forget most everything because it’s not productive and useful to you."
The Elephants in the Classroom
1) Our students will forget most of what they “learn” in school
2) Deep and powerful learning requires a personal interest in what’s being learned
3) Deep and powerful learning is not served by time limits, age groupings, and discrete subjects
4) Kids with access are learning more outside of school than they are inside of school
5) Current grading systems and assessments define our kids and teachers in ways that are counterproductive if not harmful