Boredom

“Boredom always precedes a period of great creativity.” ~ Robert M. Pirsig

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. ~ Ellen Parr

“Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” ~ George Bernard Shaw

“Beware the barrenness of a busy life.” ~ Socrates

“I think it’s necessary to let kids get bored once in a while - that’s how they learn to be creative.” ~ Kim Raver

“Daydreaming incubates creative discovery.” ~ Daniel Goleman

“You know what I worry about? I worry that kids today don’t have enough time to just sit and daydream.” ~ Judy Blume

“Are you bored with life? Then throw yourself into some work you believe in with all your heart, live for it, die for it, and you will find happiness that you had thought could never be yours.” ~ Dale Carnegie

“It is not that we have too little time to do all the things we need to do, it is that we feel the need to do too many things in the time we have.” ~ Gary W. Keller

“Kids need time to be bored; That is how creativity is born.” ~ Melanie Jean Juneau

“Adults forget the depths of languor into which the adolescent mind decends with ease. They are prone to undervalue the mental growth that occurs during daydreaming and aimless wandering” ~ Edward O. Wilson

“I’m very good at daydreaming. Ask any of my schoolteachers.” ~ Bruce Dickinson

“I think it’s very healthy to spend time alone. You need to know how to be alone and not be defined by another person.” ~ Oscar Wilde

“School was a waste of time for me. I was bored and left at 16. I started taking correspondence courses at college instead. I did incredibly well. I won an award for my grades.” ~ Amber Heard

“I didn’t want to go to college - I was bored by junior high. So I was in church one day, staring at the stained glass windows and thinking about things, when suddenly I decided that if I could start selling cartoons to magazines, they’d let me quit high school.” ~ Brad Holland

“I didn’t like school. I was pretty much daydreaming all the time. I would be in the back of the class writing down random stories and stuff that would have nothing to do with school. I only lasted two years in high school before I moved out to L.A.” ~ Charlie McDermott

“If the educational system can claim anything consistently it would be that it is masterful at evoking a destructive axis of boredom and anxiety accounting for the increasing levels of mental health problems in young people.” ~ Anthony Eldridge-Rogers, [Jump, Fall, Fly, From Schooling to Homeschooling to Unschooling]

"Self-education through play and exploration requires enormous amounts of unscheduled time—time to do whatever one wants to do, without pressure, judgment, or intrusion from authority figures. That time is needed to make friends, play with ideas and materials, experience and overcome boredom, learn from one’s own mistakes, and develop passions.” ~ Peter Gray [Free to Learn]

“Boredom has the capacity to spark creative ideas and launch new projects. For children, boredom can propel new routes of play and self-entertainment, which can help develop creativity, self-reliance, and relationship skills.”

“As a motivator toward change, boredom can lead to new ideas, reflection, and creativity. It can fuel the search for novelty, including setting a new goal or embarking on a new adventure. In today’s information-loaded world, allowing yourself to step away from screens can also help alleviate stress.”

“Boredom can provide unexpected opportunities for children to learn and grow. When children are bored, and responsible for entertaining themselves (without screens), they develop new ways to do that. They learn to tolerate uncertainty, exercise creativity, communicate with others, and negotiate conflict.”