Unschooling.com

Unschooling Quotes

John Holt Quotes

John Taylor Gatto Quotes

Albert Einstein Quotes

Charlotte Mason Quotes

"Those that can, do. Those that can’t, teach."
"Those who can’t “teach,” “administrate.”

“All the time you are in school, you learn through experience how to live in a dictatorship.” ~ Grace Llewellyn

"Schools are obsolete." ~ Sugata Mitra

"Too much of what is called ‘education’ is little more than an expensive isolation from reality." Thomas Sowell

"If a single teacher can’t teach all the subjects, then how can you expect a single student to learn all the subjects?"

“If you can see your path laid out in front of you step by step, you know it’s not your path. Your own path you make with every step you take. That’s why it’s your path.” ~ Joseph Campbell

“The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself.” ~ Rita Mae Brown

“The reason so many people are opting out of education is that it doesn’t feed their spirit. It doesn’t feed their energy or their passion.” ~ Ken Robinson

“We have to recognize that human flourishing is not a mechanical process, it’s an organic process, and you can not predict the outcome of human development. All you can do is, like a farmer, create the conditions under which they will begin to flourish.” ~ Ken Robinson

“If you do not create your destiny, you will have your fate inflicted upon you.” ~ William Irwin Thompson

“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” ~ William Butler Yeats

“If we don’t model what we teach, we are teaching something else.” ~ Abraham Maslow

“Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” ~ Les Brown

“Once you learn to read, you will be forever free.” ~ Frederick Douglass

“If you don’t know where you want to go, then it doesn’t matter which path you take.” ~ Lewis Carroll, [Alice in Wonderland]

“The most potent force for change… is the growing recognition of millions of adults that their own impoverished expectations and frustrations came, in large measure, from their schooling.” ~ Marilyn Ferguson

“Depression is when your favorite thoughts and feelings go on vacation without you. Don’t worry. Wherever they went, they’re probably having a really good time.” ~ Shaun Roundy

“If you wanted to create an education environment that was directly opposed to what the brain was good at doing, you probably would create something like a classroom.” ~ John J. Medina, Author of the New York Times Bestseller, [Brain Rules]

“In my clinical experience, the greatest block to a person’s development is his having to take on a way of life which is not rooted in his own powers.” ~ Rollo May

“Bureaucracy defends the status quo long past the time when the quo has lost its status.” ~ Lawrence Peter

“I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions.” ~ Stephen Covey

“We are not creatures of circumstance; we are creators of circumstance.” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

“Forced association is not socialization.” - Adele Carroll

“Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art. It has no survival value; rather, it is one of those things which gives value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world of conformists.” ~ Nikola Tesla

“I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.” ~ Mark Twain

“It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.” ~ Voltaire

“My grandmother wanted me to get a good education, so she kept me as far away from schools as possible.” ~ Margaret Mead

“When a flower doesn’t bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower.” ~ Alexander Den Heijer

“Education is a process of living and not a preparation for future living.” ~ John Dewey

"If our American way of life fails the child, it fails us all." ~ Pearl S. Buck

“Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.” ~ Arthur Koestler

“Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is.” ~ Isaac Asimov

“All the world is my school and all humanity is my teacher.” - George Whitman

"Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself." ~ John Dewey

“Birds fly, fish swim, and children play.” ~ Garry L. Landreth, [Play Therapy: The Art of the Relationship]

“A child educated only at school is an uneducated child.” ~ George Santayana

“I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.” ~ Pablo Picasso

“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.” ~ Pablo Picasso

“Unstructured, open-ended play is where the magic of childhood happens.” ~ Alana Pace

“Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake.” ~ Francis Bacon

“Education: free and compulsory – what a way to learn logic!” ~ Frank van Dun

“We cannot learn without pain.” ~ Aristotle

"Don’t limit a child to your own learning, for he was born in another time." ~ Rabindranath Tagore

“The smartest of a large number of hamsters is still a hamster.” ~ Fred Reed

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” ~ Steve Jobs

“It is among the commonplaces of education that we often first cut off the living root and then try to replace its natural functions by artificial means. Thus we suppress the child’s curiosity and then when he lacks a natural interest in learning he is offered special coaching for his scholastic difficulties.” ~ Alice Miller

“Drop out of school before your mind rots from exposure to our mediocre educational system. Forget about the Senior Prom and go to the library and educate yourself if you’ve got any guts.” ~ Frank Zappa

“Homeschooling is an act of liberation and an act of passion. It is an occasion to walk away from institutional images of life and to embrace a vision that is filled with personal meaning and unmistakable truths for our families. The quality of awareness that comes from the heart is more dependable… Homeschooling… is about helping make it possible for children to reach maturity with healthy, curious, fully conscious minds.” ~ Earl Gary Stevens

“The secret of success is learning how to use pain and pleasure instead of having pain and pleasure use you. If you do that, you’re in control of your life. If you don’t, life controls you.” ~ Tony Robbins

"Sadly, children’s passion for thinking often ends when they encounter a world that seeks to educate them for conformity and obedience only." ~ Bell Hooks

“I was undisciplined by birth, never would I bend, even in my tender youth, to a rule. It was at home I learned the little I know. Schools always appeared to me like a prison, and never could I make up my mind to stay there, not even for four hours a day, when the sunshine was inviting, the sea smooth, and when it was joy to run about the cliffs in the free air, or to paddle in the water.” ~ Claude Monet

“Most people, most of the time, learn most of what they know about science and technology outside of school.” ~ National Science Foundation

“If we value independence, if we are disturbed by the growing conformity of knowledge, of values, of attitudes, which our present system induces, then we may wish to set up conditions of learning which make for uniqueness, for self-direction, and for self-initiated learning.” ~ Carl Rogers

“The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours – it is an amazing journey – and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.” ~ Bob Moawad

“It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci

“If there is anything we wish to change in the child, we should first examine it and see whether it is not something that could be better changed in ourselves.” ~ C.G. Jung

“The idea that people should study for about 12 years and then start living is more deeply seated in our culture than many people realize.” ~ Larry and Susan Kaseman

“In the social jungle of human existence, there is no feeling of being alive without a sense of identity.” ~ Erik Erikson

“I suppose it is because nearly all children go to school nowadays, and have things arranged for them, that they seem so forlornly unable to produce their own ideas.” ~ Agatha Christie

"I would say that living an interesting life is more instructive than formal learning could ever be." ~ Lesley Clark

"There should be no more pressure on a child to learn than there is on a rose to grow.
I can’t coerce a rosebud to open its petals and bloom before its time.
It simply unfolds on its own.
But even before it buds, one can tell that a rose is a rose, distinct and unique." ~ Debra Elramey

"We learn because we want to learn, because it’s important to us, because it’s natural, and because it’s impossible to live in the world and not learn." ~ Peggy Pirro

"How colorfully and scientifically our generation talks down to the little child!
What insipid, stupid, dull stories are trotted out…
We don’t respect the children’s thinking or let them come to any conclusions themselves!
We ply them with endless questions, the ones we’ve thought up, instead of being silent and letting the child’s questions bubble up with interest." ~ S Schaeffer Macaulay: For the Children’s Sake

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." Benjamin Franklin

"Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune." ~ Jim Rohn

"It’s amazing what kids can accomplish without shackles." ~ Jim Babb

"College isn’t the place to go for ideas." ~ Helen Keller

"In large states public education will always be mediocre, for the same reason that in large kitchens the cooking is usually bad." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

"We, the people, are teaching ourselves" ~ Linda Dobson

"Parents can’t choose the mates of their children or the behavior of their children. You actually can’t choose anything for your children without disempowering them." ~ Ester Hicks

"I don’t know how well this will translate, but it occurred to me that the people with no certificates (hackers) were breaking into the systems the people with certificates (professionals with degrees) have been building for years.
What does this tell us about the value of certificates and degrees? Not that they have no value, that’s silly, but it does seem to suggest the value of the piece of paper is the least significant part of the person wielding the skillset."

"It’s a tragedy how badly some people are brainwashed into believing an institutionalized setting akin to the prison system is the only way a child will grow up to be a “functioning adult.”

“Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn’t really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while. That’s because they were able to connect experiences they’ve had and synthesize new things. And the reason they were able to do that was that they’ve had more experiences or they have thought more about their experiences than other people. Unfortunately, that’s too rare a commodity. A lot of people in our industry haven’t had very diverse experiences. So they don’t have enough dots to connect, and they end up with very linear solutions without a broad perspective on the problem. The broader one’s understanding of the human experience, the better design we will have.” ~ Steve Jobs

"There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

"The goal of education is not to increase the amount of knowledge but to create the possibilities for a child to invent and discover, to create men who are capable of doing new things." ~ Jean Piaget

“Education, for most people, means trying to lead the child to resemble the typical adult of his society…But for me, education means making creators…You have to make inventors, innovators, not conformists.” ~ Jean Piaget

“Children learn how to speak by listening to others speak. They learn how to converse by watching and listening to others converse. They learn how to hold books by watching other people hold books.” ~ Becca Challman

“The whole educational and professional training system is a very elaborate filter, which just weeds out people who are too independent, and who think for themselves, and who don’t know how to be submissive, and so on – because they’re dysfunctional to the institutions.” ~ Noam Chomsky

“Education is a private matter between the person and the world of knowledge and experience, and has little to do with school or college.” ~ Lillian Smith

“I think the big mistake in schools is trying to teach children anything, and by using fear as the basic motivation. Fear of getting failing grades, fear of not staying with your class, etc. Interest can produce learning on a scale compared to fear as a nuclear explosion to a firecracker.” ~ Stanley Kubrik

“Homeschooling is not about sitting at the kitchen table with a pile of textbooks all day, recreating school in the isolation of the home. (Unless, for some reason, you want it to be.) For many–maybe most–families, homeschooling is about getting out and about. It is about opening to possibilities, about finding learning opportunities around every corner, and about having the ‘luxury’ of making the kinds of community connections that are sustaining and enjoyable. It is about exploring the world with open eyes and minds, trying new things, going new places, meeting new people. It is a veritable kaleidoscope of experiences that provide a unique educational path for every child–and parent. You can find or create anything you want, and have a blast doing it.” ~ Shay Seaborne

“Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of the originality.” ~ Beatrix Potter

”Today for Show and Tell, I’ve brought a tiny marvel of nature: a single snowflake. I think we might all learn a lesson from how this utterly unique and exquisite crystal turns into an ordinary, boring molecule of water, just like every other one, when you bring it in the classroom. And now, while the analogy sinks in, I’ll be leaving you drips and going outside.” ~ Calvin, from Calvin & Hobbes Comic

“Nothing in education is so astonishing as the amount of ignorance that accumulates in the form of inert facts.” ~ Henry Adams

“Growing up, I couldn’t understand the confusion. Wasn’t it obvious that I could learn math and physics if I wanted to? Couldn’t my uncle see that I had no use for chemistry but that if I did, I’d learn it? Why did anyone care, anyway? And why did people ask me if I knew math and English but they didn’t ask whether I knew about good nutrition or how to shingle a roof?” ~ Sarabeth Matilsky

“Before children go to school in the first place, all of their natural learning systems are intact. This is what we can see from families who have homeschooled their kids from the very beginning. However, once children are in school for about three years, they are forced to shift over to a very unnatural system to survive the emphasis on memorization and the daily stress, rigidity, and humiliation of classroom life.” ~ Judy Garvey in GWS

“Schooling was influenced by the idea that self-directed learning created ‘dangerous,’ free-thinking, intelligent people who would make sure the government never became more powerful than the people.” ~ Laurie A. Couture

“Just as eating against one’s will is injurious to health, so studying without a liking for it spoils the memory, and it retains nothing it takes in.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci

“The parent knows that the child cannot be artificially motivated to learn; they know that he is already motivated by the strongest driving force on earth: his inner intent.” ~ Joseph Chilton Pearce

“The belief that young people are incapable of making reasonable decisions is a cornerstone of our system of compulsory, closely monitored education.” ~ Peter O. Gray, [Free to Learn: Why Unleashing the Instinct to Play Will Make Our Children Happier, More Self-Reliant, and Better Students for Life]

“Everyone who has ever been to school knows that school is prison, but almost nobody beyond school age says it is. It’s not polite. We all tiptoe around the truth because admitting it would make us seem cruel and would point a finger at well-intentioned people doing what they believe to be essential. . . . A prison, according to the common, general definition, is any place of involuntary confinement and restriction of liberty. In school, as in adult prisons, the inmates are told exactly what they must do and are punished for failure to comply. Actually, students in school must spend more time doing exactly what they are told than is true of adults in penal institutions. Another difference, of course, is that we put adults in prison because they have committed a crime, while we put children in school because of their age.” ~ Peter O. Gray, [Free to Learn: Why Unleashing the Instinct to Play Will Make Our Children Happier, More Self-Reliant, and Better Students for Life]

“This amazing drive and capacity to learn does not turn itself off when children turn 5 or 6. We turn it off with our coercive system of schooling.” ~ Dr. Peter Gray

“Going to school is rarely a choice at all, but rather just the thing you do because everyone else does it.” ~ Brian Huskie, [A White Rose: A Soldier’s Story of Love, War, and School]

“How many of us have read history, and shook our heads and puffed our chest, and said, “If I were alive during that period, I would never have done those things to those people!” Yet here we are, doing those things to those people.” ~ Brian Huskie, [A White Rose: A Soldier’s Story of Love, War, and School]

“I tend to agree with Robert Frost when he says, ‘Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence.’ By this definition, I don’t think anyone can claim that we are successfully educating this next generation.” ~ Brian Huskie, [A White Rose: A Soldier’s Story of Love, War, and School]

“Maybe you’ve noticed what I’ve noticed, and thought it strange, or dismissed it as youthful foolishness or that you were missing some critical piece of information that would reveal itself with age and wisdom – that is: every single teacher believes feverishly in the importance of the content of their class, and furthermore, believes that their assessment of you in their class is a direct measure of your capacity for future success, while simultaneously not having a clue as to the content of virtually any other discipline in the school. They will boldly state things like, That’s math, I’m an English teacher or That’s literature, I’m a biology teacher, practically admitting out loud that nothing learned in school is important (except, of course, the course they are teaching).” ~ Brian Huskie, [A White Rose: A Soldier’s Story of Love, War, and School]

“Compulsion – nonconsensual education – requires violence; it requires complete control over what students put into their brain, the people they are exposed to, the places they are authorized to be, and oftentimes, with free lunch programs, what food goes into their body. Compulsory systems are resentful of families who do not enforce homework or dress code policies; are reluctant to allow parents into its buildings except once or twice a year on special “open house” days; and fear parents who choose to homeschool.” ~ Brian Huskie, [A White Rose: A Soldier’s Story of Love, War, and School]

“The most important question I ask myself as a parent is this. How can I best help my children be fully themselves and happy with who they are in the world, however they show up.” ~ Lehla Eldridge, [Jump, Fall, Fly, From Schooling to Homeschooling to Unschooling]

“I no longer believe that the current education system is able to equip our children for a fast-moving future. Technology has evolved so rap-idly in the last five years that to put a child in an education system that was designed for a future that will most likely no longer exist for the majority, seems almost absurd.” ~ Lehla Eldridge, [JUMP, FALL, FLY From Schooling to Homeschooling to Unschooling]

“If the educational system can claim anything consistently it would be that it is masterful at evoking a destructive axis of boredom and anxiety accounting for the increasing levels of mental health problems in young people.” ~ Anthony Eldridge-Rogers, [Jump, Fall, Fly, From Schooling to Homeschooling to Unschooling]

“Improvement makes strait roads, but the crooked roads without Improvement, are roads of Genius.”
~ William Blake, [The Marriage of Heaven and Hell]

“To understand a child we have to watch him at play, study him in his different moods; we cannot project upon him our own prejudices, hopes and fears, or mould him to fit the pattern of our desires. If we are constantly judging the child according to our personal likes and dislikes, we are bound to create barriers and hindrances in our relationship with him and in his relationships with the world. Unfortunately, most of us desire to shape the child in a way that is gratifying to our own vanities and idiosyncrasies; we find varying degrees of comfort and satisfaction in exclusive ownership and domination.” ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti, [Education and the Significance of Life]
_________________________________________________________________________________
“When people say that school prepares children for the real world, what’s implied is that it is the difficult parts of school (doing things you don’t want to do, forced interaction with peers, following rules that you don’t believe in) that are important. What’s implied is that the real world is going to be an unhappy place and that being treated unfairly by people is a part of life.

It may be a part of life in school, but it is not a part of our lives. School is as far away from the real world as possible. In school we learn that we cannot control our own destinies and that it is acceptable to let others govern our lives. In the real world we can take responsibility for choosing our own paths and governing our own lives. The real world is what we make it.” ~ Rue Kream, [The Unschooling Unmanual]
_________________________________________________________________________________

“Break the teacher certification monopoly so anyone with something valuable to teach can teach it. Nothing is more important than this.” ~ Kytka Hilmar-Jezek, [99 Question and Answers About Unschooling: The World Is Your Child’s Classroom]

“Learning and education are a normal part of everyday life and do not need a vast expensive bureaucracy to force them to happen.” ~ Kytka Hilmar-Jezek, [99 Question and Answers About Unschooling: The World Is Your Child’s Classroom]

“The simplest description is that Unschooling means a way of bringing up children using free play and child-directed activity to develop the child’s own individual talents and creativity by supportively following up the child’s own interests – without coercion, compulsion, manipulation, regimentation, constant testing and grading and rank-ordering, or top-down authoritarianism.” ~ Kytka Hilmar-Jezek, [99 Question and Answers About Unschooling: The World Is Your Child’s Classroom]

“There are as many approaches to unschooling as there are people, by design. A child is supported to read when ready and interested, not on another’s timetable, for example. He can and will be encouraged to pursue a wide range of interests, based on his interests, such as free play, inventing, experimenting scientifically, video gaming, role modeling through friendship, spiritual development through inquiry of self and others, athletics, learning to trust himself and others.” ~ Kytka Hilmar-Jezek, [99 Question and Answers About Unschooling: The World Is Your Child’s Classroom]

“Many of the world’s greatest geniuses all had in common that they were pulled from the school environment. They were freed to discover the undiscovered. They had the imagination to ‘see’ a different way and the drive to try to build what they had seen.” ~ Kytka Hilmar-Jezek, [Born To Learn]

“The primary difference I see is that unschooling is an invitation to awaken and ennoble capabilities that exist within the child. Where traditional schooling is to fill the child with facts that we, as a collective have decided upon.” ~ Kytka Hilmar-Jezek, [Born To Learn]

“I simply stepped out of the way and maintained my courage and my position in the face of constant disagreement, voiced opinion and attack. I held true and I stood my ground. I maintained my convictions and my commitment to allowing them to live in the kingdom of childhood. I protected them from outside influence and allowed their imaginations to soar. I instilled a lifelong love of learning in them and I shared my passion for reading. I allowed them to choose what they wanted to study and I provided the resources for them to delve in, unguided and undisturbed for however long they needed to gather what they believed to be enough understanding to satisfy their own personal drive.” ~ Kytka Hilmar-Jezek, [Born To Learn]

“Cause and effect is the basis of my education, leading me to an essence far more profound than any rule of societal conditioning.” ~ KA Chinery

“My success or failure in school was dependent on my ability to follow a curriculum that felt as if it had very little to do with me as a human being.” ~ Ben Hewitt, [Home Grown: Adventures in Parenting off the Beaten Path, Unschooling, and Reconnecting with the Natural World]

“There is nothing to be gained by pretending that academic involvement is necessary, or even always desirable, in the quest for truth and knowledge.” ~ Christopher Langan

“Education is a system. Learning is an ongoing every day process.” ~ Mommy Moo Moo

“Of all the things I have learned since becoming a parent(and sometimes, it feels as if this might be everything I’ve learned), perhaps the hardest to accept is that it is selfish and possibly even dangerous to desire particular outcomes for our children.” ~ Ben Hewitt

“The philosophy of project-based homeschooling — this particular approach to helping children become strong thinkers, learners, and doers — is dependent upon the interest and the enthusiastic participation and leadership of the learners themselves, the children.” ~ Lori McWilliam Pickert

“To learn how to do, we need something real to focus on — not a task assigned by someone else, but something we want to create, something we want to understand. Not an empty exercise but a meaningful, self-chosen undertaking.” ~ Lori McWilliam Pickert
“Children, even when very young, have the capacity for inventive thought and decisive action. They have worthwhile ideas. They make perceptive connections. They’re individuals from the start: a unique bundle of interests, talents, and preferences. They have something to contribute. They want to be a part of things.

"It’s up to us to give them the opportunity to express their creativity, explore widely, and connect with their own meaningful work.” ~ Lori McWilliam Pickert

“Allowing children to learn about what interests them is good, but helping them do it in a meaningful, rigorous way is better. Freedom and choice are good, but a life steeped in thinking, learning, and doing is better. It’s not enough to say, “Go, do whatever you like.” To help children become skilled thinkers and learners, to help them become people who make and do, we need a life centered around those experiences. We need to show them how to accomplish the things they want to do. We need to prepare them to make the life they want.” ~ Lori McWilliam Pickert

“Each of us is born with a crazy passion to learn. Each of us craves knowledge of our world and our place within it. We learn because we want to learn, because it’s important to us, because it’s natural, and because it’s impossible to live in the world and not learn. Then along comes school to mess up a beautiful thing.” ~ ps pirro, [101 Reasons Why I Am An Unschooler]

“If the emotions are free the intellect will look after itself” ~ A.S. Neill

“Many parents aren’t all that accustomed to being patient and present for their kids anymore, if only because they’re simply not given the opportunity to be patient and present. Jobs get in the way. School gets in the way. After-school activities get in the way. As I have learned—as I am still learning—patience and presence are muscles that must be developed and exercised regularly.” ~ Ben Hewitt, [Home Grown: Adventures in Parenting off the Beaten Path, Unschooling, and Reconnecting with the Natural World]

“If there is value in the standardized, performance-based curriculums utilized by the vast majority of schools, that value is realized primarily by the institutions themselves and by the economic and social structures that are fed by standardized learning.” ~ Ben Hewitt, [Home Grown: Adventures in Parenting off the Beaten Path, Unschooling, and Reconnecting with the Natural World]

“the business of being a child in this country is rapidly disappearing into an abyss that consists not only of programs and tests but also of extracurricular activities.” ~ Ben Hewitt, [Home Grown: Adventures in Parenting off the Beaten Path, Unschooling, and Reconnecting with the Natural World]

“What if the point were not to know as much as possible but to feel as much as possible?” ~ Ben Hewitt, [Home Grown: Adventures in Parenting off the Beaten Path, Unschooling, and Reconnecting with the Natural World]

“Normality is a paved road: It’s comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it.” ~ Vincent van Gogh

“To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.” ~ Joseph Chilton Pearce

"Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.” ~ David McCullough Jr.

“Disobedience, in the eyes of any one who has read history, is man’s original virtue. It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion.” ~ Oscar Wilde

“The great aim of education is not knowledge but action.” ~ Herbert Spencer

“You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.” ~ Aristotle

“Our ambition should be to rule ourselves, the true kingdom for each one of us; and true progress is to know more, and be more, and to do more.” ~ Oscar Wilde

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it." ~ Richard L Evans

"Schooling kids is like exercising dogs on a leash. They’ll never reach their full potential because of the powers holding them back." ~ Unschooling.com

"When kids are schooled like products in a factory, they end up putting themselves on the market, instead of bringing unique value and creating their own market, which means they are the commodity." ~ Unschooling.com

"School is mankind’s way of domesticating humans so they aren’t wild and free as nature intended them to be." ~ Unschooling.com

"Life is an epic struggle to free oneself." ~ Unschooling.com

"Do not let a broken system convince you that you have a broken child." ~ Anonymous

"Rewards and punishments are the lowest form of education." ~ Zhuangzi

"A bird does not learn to fly and nest by living in a cage. Likewise we cannot prepare young humans for the real world by denying and limiting their access to it." ~ Laurette Lynn

“School is the advertising agency which makes you believe that you need the society as it is.” ~ Ivan Illich

“School prepares for the alienating institutionalization of life by teaching the need to be taught.” ~ Ivan Illich

“Learning from programmed information always hides reality behind a screen.” ~ Ivan Illich

"The idea that children need to be around many other youngsters in order to be ‘socialized’ is perhaps the most dangerous and extravagant myth in education and child rearing today." ~ Dr. Raymond Moore

“The biggest atrocity of all is to indoctrinate our children into a system that does not value their creative expression, nor encourage their unique abilities.” ~ Benjamin Greene

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." ~ Buckminster Fuller

"The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me." ~ Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

“The fact is, people learn from people they love.” ~ David Brooks

“The pinnacle of productivity is to never work; always play.” ~ Marianne Williamson

"The highest reward for a man’s toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." ~ John Ruskin

"The height of a man’s success is gauged by his self-mastery; the depth of his failure by his self-abandonment…he who cannot establish a dominion over himself will have no dominion over others. He who masters himself shall be a king." ~ Spencer W Kimball

"Life gives to all the choice, you can satisfy yourself with mediocrity if you wish, you can be common, ordinary, dull, colorless, or you can channel your life so that it will be clean, vibrant, progressive, useful, colorful, rich." ~ Spencer W Kimball

"It isn’t always others who enslave us. Sometimes we let circumstances enslave us; sometimes we let routine enslave us; sometimes we let things enslave us; sometimes, with weak wills, we enslave ourselves. sometimes we partake of detrimental things that we think will soothe our nerves, minds or imaginations-things we think will helps us to escape from reality. But no man is free if he is running away from reality. And no man is free if he is running away from himself." ~ Richard L Evans

"Emancipate yourself from inner-slavery, for none but ourselves can free our mind." ~ Bob Marley

“In the last several years, while meeting and spending time with people who have become inordinately successful, I have observed several common traits among them. Two of those traits stand out. One is they have a calling, which they have discovered and are implementing. The other is they have made mountains of mistakes in the process of becoming ‘successful.’ THE GLEAMING MOUNTAIN OF SUCCESS IS ACTUALLY A PILE OF TRASH – a pile of the mistakes we have made. The difference between the successful and the troubled is not error-free living; it is that BY DISCOVERING AND IMPLEMENTING A LIFE CALLING, THE SUCCESSFUL STAND ON THEIR PILE OF TRASH, while the troubled sit under theirs.” ~ Dave Ramsey

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” ~ Mark Twain

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” ~ Henry Ford

“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” ~ Confucius

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” ~ John Lennon

"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards." ~ Mark Twain

"Don’t handicap your children by making their lives easy." ~ Robert A. Heinlein

"If children are being told WHAT to learn, WHEN and HOW to learn, 6 hours a day, 5 DAYS A WEEK - no wonder CREATIVE THINKING in children is plummeting, and ANXIETY & DEPRESSION is continuing to rise." ~ Kirsty Lee

"The school system is designed to teach obedience and conformity and prevent the child’s natural capacities from developing." ~ Noam Chomsky

"Government involvement in education must be abolished.
A natural order in education means that it is entirely a family matter." ~ Hans Herrmann Hoppe (American-German Economist)

"How do we expect to teach kids about consent when many spend their childhoods under coercion?" ~ Kerry McDonald

“Real education must ultimately be limited to men who insist on knowing. The rest is mere sheep herding.” ~ Ezra Pound

“School prepares people for the alienating institutionalization of life, by teaching the necessity of being taught. Once this lesson is learned, people loose their incentive to develop independently." ~ Ivan Illich

“We learn simply by the exposure of living. Much that passes for education is not education at all but ritual. The fact is that we are being educated when we know it least.” ~ David P. Gardner

“There is no neutral education. Education is either for domestication or for freedom.” ~ Joao Coutinho

"The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better. Oppositional energy only creates more of the same." ~ Richard Rohr

"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson

“Knowledge which is acquired under compulsion obtains no hold on the mind.” ~ Plato

"… a free man ought not to learn anything under duress.
Compulsory physical exercise does no harm to the body,
but compulsory learning never sticks to the mind." ~ Plato
“Each day was a severe test for me, sitting in a dreadful classroom while the sun and fog played outside. Most of the information received meant absolutely nothing to me. For example, I was chastised for not being able to remember what states border Nebraska and what are the states of the Gulf Coast. It was simply a matter of memorizing the names, nothing about the process of memorizing or any reason to memorize. Education without either meaning or excitement is impossible. I longed for the outdoors, leaving only a small part of my conscious self to pay attention to schoolwork.

“One day as I sat fidgeting in class the whole situation suddenly appeared very ridiculous to me. I burst into raucous peals of uncontrolled laughter, I could not stop. The class was first amused, then scared. I stood up, pointed at the teacher, and shrieked my scorn, hardly taking breath in between my howling paroxysms.” ~ Ansel Adams

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." ~ Henry David Thoreau

“What does education often do? It makes a straight-cut ditch out of a free, meandering brook.” ~ Henry David Thoreau

“How could youth better learn to live than by at once trying the experiment of living?” ~ Henry David Thoreau

“My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself.” - George Bernard Shaw

“What we call education and culture is for the most part nothing but the substitution of reading for experience, of literature for life, of the obsolete fictitious for the contemporary real.” ~ George Bernard Shaw

“There is, on the whole, nothing on earth intended for innocent people so horrible as a school.” ~ George Bernard Shaw

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." ~ George Bernard Shaw

“Skill to do comes of doing.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

“We are shut up in schools and college recitation rooms for ten or fifteen years, and come out at last with a bellyful of words and do not know a thing.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

“The secret of education lies in respecting the pupil. It is not for you to choose what he shall know, what he shall do. It is chosen and foreordained and he only holds the key to his own secret.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

“The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

“I was happy as a child with my toys in my nursery. I been happier every year since I became a man. But this interlude of school makes a somber grey patch upon the chart of my journey. It was a unending spell of worries that did not then seem petty, and of toil uncheered by fruition; a time of discomfort, restriction and purposeless monotony.” ~ Winston Churchill

“How I hated this school, and what a life of anxiety I lived there for more than two years. I counted the days and the hours to the end of every term, when I should return home from this hateful servitude.” ~ Winston Churchill

“Schools have not necessarily much to do with education…they are mainly institutions of control where certain basic habits must be inculcated in the young. Education is quite different and has little place in school.” ~ Winston Churchill

“I am always ready to learn, but I do not always like being taught.” ~ Winston Churchill

“If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book.” ~ J.K Rowling

"Every man should have a college education in order to show him how little the thing is really worth." ~ Elbert Hubbard

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." ~ Christopher Morley

"Many highly schooled people are uneducated, and many highly educated people are unschooled." ~ Milton Friedman

"When it comes to the point that mankind only remains reasonable or even useful when everything is prescribed by law, then really mankind on earth is no longer worth much." ~ Rudolf Steiner

"Our highest endeavor must be to develop free human beings who are able, of themselves, to impart purpose and direction to their lives." ~ Rudolf Steiner

"It is all-important to bear in mind that the child only begins to pass from consciousness to self-consciousness between the ages of nine and ten. To teach grammar before this age, therefore, is absolutely irrational." ~ Rudolf Steiner

"The child himself is the curriculum." ~ Rudolf Steiner

“Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve.” ~ Roger Lewin

"An education isn’t how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It’s being able to differentiate between what you do know and what you don’t. It’s knowing where to go to find out what you need to know; and it’s knowing how to use the information you get." ~ William Feather

“School typically doesn’t prepare young people for real life – unless their lives are spent following instructions and pleasing others. In my opinion, that’s why so many students who succeed in school fail in life.” ~ Ray Dalio [American Billionaire Investor]

"Teaching children about the natural world should be seen as one of the most important events in their lives." ~ Thomas Berry

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

"Every child should have mud pies, grasshoppers, water bugs, tadpoles, frogs, mud turtles, elderberries, wild strawberries, acorns, chestnuts, trees to climb. Brooks to wade, water lilies, woodchucks, bats, bees, butterflies, various animals to pet, hayfields, pine-cones, rocks to roll, sand, snakes, huckleberries and hornets; and any child who has been deprived of these has been deprived of the best part of education." ~ Luther Burbank

“Once upon a time, all children were homeschooled. They were not sent away from home each day to a place just for children but lived, learned, worked, and played in the real world, alongside adults and other children of all ages.” ~ Rachel Gathercole, [The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling]

“When freedom prevails, the ingenuity and inventiveness of people creates incredible wealth. This is the source of the natural improvement of the human condition.” ~ Brian S. Wesbury

“Wherever is found what is called a paternal government, there is found state education. It has been discovered that the best way to insure implicit obedience is to commence tyranny in the nursery.” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

"Our children don’t want to be OVERPOWERED. They want to be EMPOWERED." ~ Sandra Fazio

“There is no school equal to a decent home and no teacher equal to a virtuous parent.” ~ Gandhi

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass

"Don’t compare your path with anybody else’s. Your path is unique to you." ~ Ram Dass

“Many highly-talented, brilliant, creative people think they’re not — because the thing they were good at school wasn’t valued, or was actually stigmatized.” — Sir Ken Robinson

“The best way to make children good is to make them happy.” ~ Oscar Wilde

“If I’d followed all the rules I’d never have gotten anywhere” ~ Marilyn Monroe

“Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally.” – John Maynard Keynes. (General Theory, 1936)

"Learning is not a spectator sport." ~ Jim Quick

“Everything I am interested in, from cooking to electronics, is related to math. In real life you don’t have to worry about integrating math into other subjects. In real life, math already is integrated into everything else.” ~ Anna Hoffstrom

“Education with inert ideas is not only useless, it is above all things harmful.” ~ A. N. Whitehead

“We are faced with the paradoxical fact that education has become one of the chief obstacles to intelligence and freedom of thought.” ~ Bertrand Russell

“Life-long learners start their education at home.” ~ Beverley Paine

“My job is not to teach at all, but to find the opportunities for my kids to learn. NOT knowing something can be an advantage, as it reminds me of the wealth of resources out there in the community and world, if only we are willing to go look for them.” ~ David Albert

“Think of reading like riding a bicycle: One doesn’t consciously name the muscles involved or the particular actions required of each, or the parts of the bicycle, or Newton’s laws of motion, or the physics of gears, or the changes in brain chemistry associated with balance. One gets up on the seat and starts to pedal.” ~ David Albert

“Homeschooling is an act of liberation and an act of passion. It is an occasion to walk away from institutional images of life and to embrace a vision that is filled with personal meaning and unmistakable truths for our families. The quality of awareness that comes from the heart is more dependable… Homeschooling… is about helping make it possible for children to reach maturity with healthy, curious, fully conscious minds.” ~ Earl Gary Stevens

“Public school–where the human mind is drilled and manipulated into submission to various social and moral spooks, and thus fitted to continue our system of exploitation and oppression.” ~ Emma Goldman

“In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.” ~ Eric Hoffer

“I loved learning, it was school I hated. I used to cut school to go learn something.” ~ Eric Jensen

“As far as I have seen, at school…they aimed at blotting out one’s individuality.” ~ Franz Kafka

“In the end, the secret to learning is so simple: forget about it. Think only about whatever you love. Follow it, do it, dream about it. One day, you will glance up at your collection of Japanese literature, or trip over the solar oven you built, and it will hit you: learning was there all the time, happening by itself.” ~ Grace Llewellyn

“The child who attends public school typically spends approximately 1,100 hours a year there, but only twenty percent of these — 220 — are spent, as the educators say, ‘on task’. Nearly 900 hours, or eighty percent, are squandered on what are essentially organizational matters.” ~ Homeschooling For Excellence

“The act of placing the power over learning and life into the individual’s hands is both empowering and motivating. The ‘motivation’ people see in unschoolers is really a joy in learning that is seen far less often among the masses in school.” ~ Idzie Desmarais

“Knowledge has outstripped character development, and the young today are given an education rather than an upbringing.” ~ Ilya Ehrenburg

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." ~ Calvin Coolidge

“The more I think about it the more I think high school is seriously warped.” ~ J.S. Feliciano

“Every day I went to school was a constant attack on my self-worth. I learned not to believe in myself. It was a bombardment from all directions; the teachers were saying how bad I was doing in their classes, my family was ashamed of my grades, and the students were attacking me about everything under the sun! I was like a plant trying to grow in darkness–it doesn’t. It all left me afraid to dream my dreams-afraid to be my true self! Who wants to show their true self if they’re just going to get a rock hurled at it?! The real question is: how do we undo the damage done? We have to take time to dream again, not other peoples’, but our own precious dreams that mean everything to us. Our dreams are our life maps.” ~ Jenny Smith – unschooler

“Schooling, instead of encouraging the asking of questions, too often discourages it.” ~ Madeleine L’Engle

“I hate, loathe and despise schools….School is bad for you if you have any talent. You should be cultivating that talent in your own particular way.” ~ Maurice Sendak

"Everywhere I go I encounter older people who seem to be technologically challenged… and I am talking about smart people . It could only be schooling that has capped their ability to learn on their own." ~ Anonymous

“The purpose of learning is growth, and our minds, unlike our bodies, can continue growing as long as we live." ~ Mortimer Adler

“My teachers could have been Jesse James for all the time they stole from me.” ~ Natalie Goldberg

“Life is learning, learning is life. Unschoolers simply do not think there are times for learning and times for not learning. They don’t divide life into school time or lesson time versus play time or recreation time. There is no such thing as “extracurricular” to an unschooler – all of life, every minute of every day, counts as learning time, and there is no separate time set aside for “education.” ~ Pam Sorooshian

“When I look back at all the crap I learned in high school, it’s a wonder I can think at all.” ~ Paul Simon

“A true bubble is when something is overvalued and intensely believed. Education may be the only thing people still believe in in the United States. To question education is really dangerous. It is the absolute taboo. It’s like telling the world there’s no Santa Claus." ~ Peter Thiel

“I was fortunate enough to extricate myself before insensibility set in.” ~ Rabindranath Tagore, on quitting school at 13 (Indian polymath, poet, musician, and artist)

“If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement and mystery of the world we live in.” ~ Rachel Carson

“Children who live surrounded by rules, instead of learning about principles, end up becoming adept at getting around rules, finding the loopholes in rules, disguising non-compliance, or deflecting blame for non-compliance (i.e. lying about what they did). These are the skills that they then bring into adult life.” ~ Robyn Coburn

“Growing up, I couldn’t understand the confusion. Wasn’t it obvious that I could learn math and physics if I wanted to? Couldn’t my uncle see that I had no use for chemistry but that if I did, I’d learn it? Why did anyone care, anyway? And why did people ask me if I knew math and English but they didn’t ask whether I knew about good nutrition or how to shingle a roof?” ~ Sarabeth Matilsky

“Nothing enrages me more than when people criticize my criticism of school by telling me that schools are not just places to learn maths and spelling, they are places where children learn a vaguely defined thing called socialization… I think schools generally do an effective and terribly damaging job of teaching children to be infantile, dependent, intellectually dishonest, passive and disrespectful to their own developmental capacities.” ~ Seymour Papert

“I think the big mistake in schools is trying to teach children anything, and by using fear as the basic motivation. Fear of getting failing grades, fear of not staying with your class, etc. Interest can produce learning on a scale compared to fear as a nuclear explosion to a firecracker.” ~ Stanley Kubrik

“Education itself is a putting off, a postponement; we are told to work hard to get good results. Why? So we can get a good job. What is a good job? One that pays well. Oh. And that’s it? All this suffering, merely so that we can earn a lot of money, which, even if we manage it, will not solve our problems anyway? It’s a tragically limited idea of what life is all about.” ~ Tom Hodgkinson

“The only thing I didn’t do in school was learn.” ~ Jason Lescalleet (Unschooler)

“People will always try to stop you from doing the right thing if it is unconventional.” ~ Warren Buffett

“The mere fact that most school attendance is compulsory reflects an attitude of mistrust of children and their desire to make sense of the world. In fact, if governments were really serious about their professed goal of developing, nurturing, and enhancing the intellectual and moral autonomy of the young, would they not have to abolish compulsory, externally imposed education?” ~ Wendy Priesnitz

“We must demolish the institution of schooling because it impedes learning and enslaves children. Then we need to put both money and creativity into creating opportunities and infrastructures that respect children and help them learn.” ~ Wendy Priesnitz

“I wonder why so many parents still want to keep their children hidden away in schools, when they could be learning in the wonderful, bright, ever-changing, always-stimulating real world.” ~ Wendy Priesnitz

“The force-feeding process of schooling is so relentless that many students gag on it. They tune out or leave school, and in some cases, become permanently soured on learning.” ~ Wendy Priesnitz

“Children don’t need to be taught how to learn; they are born learners. They come out of the womb interacting with and exploring their surroundings. Babies are active learners, their burning curiosity motivating them to learn how the world works. And if they are given a safe, supportive environment, they will continue to learn hungrily and naturally – in the manner and at the speed that suits them best.” ~ Wendy Priesnitz

“Our schooling has led us to misunderstand the difference between the power to do something and the force that makes us do something. We were told one too many times to sit in our seats and listen, to put up our hands when we had to go to the bathroom, and to buy what we were offered.” ~ Wendy Priesnitz

“Because schools suffocate children’s hunger to learn, learning appears to be difficult and we assume that children must be externally motivated to do it.” ~ Wendy Priesnitz

“Public education reflects our society’s paternalistic, hierarchical worldview, which exploits children in the same way it takes the earth’s resources for granted.” ~ Wendy Priesnitz

“One of my early memories of school is wondering when they were going to start teaching me the things I didn’t know, rather than what I already knew. Many years later, I began to understand how, insidiously, school had reinforced my inadequacies and had left me with what I now call ‘learned incompetency’ and a fear of not being able to do things ‘right’ the first time.” ~ Wendy Priesnitz

“There are only two places in the world where time takes precedence over the job to be done. School and prison.” ~ William Glasser

“The most erroneous assumption is to the effect that the aim of public education is to fill the young of the species with knowledge and awaken their intelligence, and so make them fit to discharge the duties of citizenship in an enlightened and independent manner. Nothing could be further from the truth. The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all; it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed and train a standardized citizenry, to put down dissent and originality. That is its aim in the United States, whatever the pretensions of politicians, pedagogues and other such mountebanks, and that is its aim everywhere else.” ~ H.L. Mencken

“The aim of public education is not to spread enlightenment at all; it is simply to reduce as many individuals as possible to the same safe level, to breed a standard citizenry, to put down dissent and originality.” ~ H. L. Mencken

“School-days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of human existence. They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks, new and unpleasant ordinances, brutal violations of common sense and common decency. It doesn’t take a reasonably bright boy long to discover that most of what is rammed into him is nonsense, and that no one really cares very much whether he learns it or not.” ~ H. L. Mencken

“Men are not prisoners of Fate, but only prisoners of their own minds.” ~ Franklin Roosevelt

"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." ~ Stanislaus Leszczynski

“The founding fathers in their wisdom decided that children were an unnatural strain on parents. So they provided jails called schools, equipped with tortures called education. School is where you go between when your parents can’t take you and industry can’t take you.” ~ John Updike

“When you follow your bliss, doors will open where you would not have thought there would be doors, and where there wouldn’t be a door for anyone else.” — Joseph Campbell

"Education isn’t something you can finish." ~ Isaac Asimov

"True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us." ~ Socrates

"Children allowed to develop at their own speed will usually win the race of life.’’ ~ Fred O. Gosman (20th century), U.S. author. How to Be a Happy Parent . . . in Spite of Your Children, ch. 2 (1995).

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.” ~ Bruce Lee

“Education occurs when students set out to educate themselves… the student will only learn, can only learn, what he chooses to learn…(An) advantage of not pushing is an innate sense (his) education is (his) responsibility and reward.” ~ Oliver DeMille

“No U.S. president can “fix” education, no law can systematize inspiration, and no amount of funding, policy or resources can structure passion.” ~ Oliver DeMille, [The Student Whisperer: Inspiring Genius]

“How many have been persuaded that they needed to make it their life’s purpose to find a job, follow a career, be normal, fit in, or seek security, prestige, power or possessions? What great blessings has the world missed out on because of these choices?” ~ Oliver DeMille, [The Student Whisperer: Inspiring Genius]

“Great education defies structure because it is always (always!) individualized, personalized, interactive, nimble, responsive and inspired.” ~ Oliver DeMille, [The Student Whisperer: Inspiring Genius]

“When a student is given the opportunity to gain an education, the ultimate responsibility for success or failure rests with him, and it is the role and obligation of the adults in his life to provide the best possible opportunity to gain that education.” ~ Oliver DeMille, [The Student Whisperer: Inspiring Genius]

"It is impossible for one human being to educate another. You cannot educate a child, you can only inspire a child to educate himself or herself." ~ Oliver DeMille

"Learning is pulling in knowledge that a child finds useful.
Teaching is pushing towards a child knowledge that the teacher wants the child to have." ~ Joyce Fetteroll

"Productive learning is where the process engenders and reinforces wanting to learn more. Absent wanting to learn, the learning context is unproductive." ~

"When you know better, you do better." ~ Maya Angelou

"The farther you go, the less you know." ~ Socrates

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." ~ Marcus Aurelius (Roman Emperor (121 -180 AD)

“Shallow men believe in luck or in circumstance. Strong men believe in cause and effect.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

“The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.” ~ Friedrich Hegel

“After all is said and done, more is usually said than done.”

"If you can’t explain it to a six year old, you don’t understand it yourself." ~ Albert Einstein

“Some lack the fickleness to live as they wish and just live as they have begun." ~ Seneca

"It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness." ~ Seneca

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." ~ Alvin Toffler

“Powerful people cannot afford to educate the people that they oppress." ~ Dr. John Henrik Clarke

"Money doesn’t bring happiness and creativity. Your creativity and happiness brings money." ~ Sam Rosen

“Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

“No man is free who is not a master of himself.” ~ Epictetus (Phrygian slave and Stoic philosopher | AD 55 – 135)

"The harder I work, the luckier I am” ~ Thomas Jefferson

"We must teach our children not to spend their money a dollar at a time. If you spend your money a dollar at a time, you’ll wind up with trinkets instead of treasures. You can’t buy much of value a dollar at a time." ~ Jim Rohn

"Life is “trying things to see if they work.” ~ Ray Bradbury

"What is called genius is the abundance of life and health." ~ Henry David Thoreau

"What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you." ~ Anthony de Mello (Priest, spirituality author, and speaker)

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." ~ Oscar Wilde

"Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors where there were only walls." ~ Joseph Campbell

"Quality questions create a quality life. Successful people ask better questions, and as a result, they get better answers." ~ Anthony Robbins

"If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary." ~ Jim Rohn

“He didn’t tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.” ~ Clarence Budington Kelland, American writer (1881-1964), about his father

"The Price of anything is the amount of life exchanged for it." ~ Henry David Thoreau

"What luck for rulers that men do not think" ~ Adolf Hitler

"Every form of education, whether its private schooling, public government schooling, or home based education is the teaching, training, and indoctrination of children." ~ Dr. Brian Ray

“No one, of any age, at any time, responds well to being controlled—or patronized. Control triggers one of two responses: rebellion or submission, accompanied by various less than healthy coping mechanisms. It might “work” in the short run, but it’s bound to backfire over time.” ~ Jennifer Lehr

“Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else’s hands, but not you.” ~ Jim Rohn

"You can define a free person precisely as someone whose fate is not centrally or directly dependent on peer assessment." ~ Nassim Nicholas Taleb

"Today as always, men fall into two groups: slaves and free men. Whoever does not have two-thirds of his day for himself, is a slave, whatever he may be: a statesman, a businessman, an official, or a scholar" ~ Nietzsche “Human, All Too Human”

“Whatever you’re meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible.” ~ Doris Lessing

“Ideally, what should be said to every child, repeatedly, throughout his or her school life is something like this: 'You are in the process of being indoctrinated. We have not yet evolved a system of education that is not a system of indoctrination. We are sorry, but it is the best we can do. What you are being taught here is an amalgam of current prejudice and the choices of this particular culture. The slightest look at history will show how impermanent these must be. You are being taught by people who have been able to accommodate themselves to a regime of thought laid down by their predecessors. It is a self-perpetuating system. Those of you who are more robust and individual than others will be encouraged to leave and find ways of educating yourself — educating your own judgements. Those that stay must remember, always, and all the time, that they are being moulded and patterned to fit into the narrow and particular needs of this particular society.” ~ Doris Lessing, [The Golden Notebook]

"School, politics, sports, and games train us to compete against others. True rewards - wealth, knowledge, love, fitness, and equanimity - come from ignoring others and improving ourselves." - Naval

"Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will." ~ Joseph Goebbels

“We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of” – Edward Bernays

"Public education has not produced an educated public." ~ G. K. Chesterton

“Every day in communities across the United States, children and adolescents spend the majority of their waking hours in schools that have increasingly come to resemble places of detention more than places of learning. From metal detectors to drug tests, from increased policing to all-seeing electronic surveillance, the public schools of the twenty-first century reflect a society that has become fixated on crime, security and violence.” [1]—Investigative journalist Annette Fuentes. (Story by John W. Whitehead, republished from Rutherford.org.)