Unschooling.com

The Purpose of School

The purpose of schools in modern societies (19th-20th century) was to prepare industrial workers … sheep that would be educated in the basics, enough to perform a job but not so much that the person would- through creativity, innovation and use of personal resources- create it’s own opportunities. The school system that we have today - is still in the business of producing sheep. As the mother of a 12 year old , who I homeschool after years of suffering dealing with the system- I cannot force a child (of the 21st century!) to be sheep. They are a new generation. They are supposed to exploit their creativity, innovative problem solving and make a BETTER world. We all know that they are going to have to be able to solve very very difficult problems in the future. (climate change, unemployment, nuclear warfare, on so many more!) ---- Instead , the system is producing hordes of adhd’ers, autistic spectrum patients and at risk children … If you want to stay in the system in the “No Child Left Behind” paradox… you’d better have a well adjusted child who can be sheep, or medicate your problem kid with a lot of imagination and a mind of his own … ~ Mariana Santangelo

"The purpose of education is to improve companies bottom lines."

“I don’t want a nation of thinkers, I want a nation of workers.” ~ John D. Rockefeller

“Powerful people cannot afford to educate the people that they oppress." ~ Dr. John Henrik Clarke

“We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of” ~ Edward Bernays

"Traditional school changes the way children naturally learn — through hands-on exploration and experimentation — and instead teaches children to be taught. Children become conditioned in school to be passive learners, to follow commands, to relay right answers, to conform. The creativity and exuberance for learning that is so apparent when we are young, often fades as learning becomes a coercive chore."

"One thing that the government fails to realize is that teaching students how to do well on a test does not, in fact, prepare them for life. All it does is teach them how to take a test. “Teaching for testing” is the biggest crock in the American education system — it prevents teachers from doing their jobs effectively, holds students back, and it impedes the entire educational process. “Teaching for testing” is the worst possible stance one could ever take when it comes to education." ~ Vicki Batts

We, the Rockefeller’s funded Women’s Liberation Movement for two primary reasons:

1) We couldn’t tax half the population before Women’s Lib

2) Now we get the kids in school to indoctrinate them how to think which breaks up the family so the kids start looking at the State as the family, as well as the School and officials as their family, NOT their parents teaching them.

"In the beginning, I saw the feeling behind what I thought was a noble venture until I saw the true intentions behind it."

Many people don’t realize traditional schools, as we know them today, have only been around a little over 100 years & were modeled on the Prussian model, which reformed their military in response to being defeated by Napoleon (the Prussian military wasn’t disciplined enough). The Prussians were more concerned about rising education among the lower classes wanting to be involved with policy, so they devised a mental prison system to condition them to be obedient. This is why school has short classes, bells, etc. We moved from an agrarian based economy to an industrial based economy.