Why do people choose unschooling as a way of learning?
Here are 13 reasons why not to go to school: Aside from the fact it is a complete waste of our two most valuable assets in life: time and energy. Your life is determined by how you manage these two assets so ask yourself if you’re truly spending your time and energy wisely or are you wasting your most important assets being a cog in the machine?
“Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.” ~ Henry Ford
1) Indoctrination | School is indoctrination which is the process of teaching a person or group to accept a set of beliefs uncritically and that is exactly what schools do. Schools don’t teach kids to question things, they tell them to accept things for the way they are. Parents want to ensure their kids are learning what they want to learn, not what some stranger forces them to learn. Parents don’t want their kids to be brainwashed as schools are not educating kids, they are indoctrinating them. There is nothing schools offer that you cannot learn on your own! The very nature of school means you are trading your limited time on this planet to sit in classrooms when there is so much more to explore and learn in the real world than from a teacher in a classroom. Besides, who really wants to learn from someone who has been schooled in this system for a quarter of their lives and then decides to become a teacher and never ever leaves this system of oppression because they themselves are stuck in it? The Teachers Curse! Teachers are obsessed with trying to reproduce academic clones of themselves.
"Their schooling made it so schooling was all they know." ~ Unschooling.com
"The essential thing measured by school is whether or not you are good at school. Being good at school is a fine skill if you intend to do school forever. For the rest of us, being good at school is a little like being good at Frisbee. It’s nice, but it’s not relevant unless your career involves homework assignments, looking through textbooks for answers that are already known to your supervisors, complying with instructions and then, in high-pressure settings, regurgitating those facts with limited processing on your part." ~ Seth Godin (Stop Stealing Dreams)
"It takes early indoctrination and control to make humans accept that their time, thoughts, body and things aren’t their own." ~ Racheous
"Hundreds of billions of dollars are spent every year to control the public mind." ~ Noam Chomsky
“Many who are self-taught far excel the doctors, masters, and bachelors of the most renowned universities.” ~ Mises
3) Rights | Children have no rights at schools and are expected to follow an endless number of rules that ensure obedience to authority. It’s so bad that kids don’t even have the right to go to the bathroom in schools without having to ask permission from authority. Can you believe it? That’s because kids in schools are literally slaves without any rights.
"Parents give up their rights when they drop their children off at public school." ~ Melinda Harmon, Federal Judge, 1996
"The school system is designed to teach obedience and conformity and prevent the child’s natural capacities from developing." ~ Noam Chomsky
“All the time you are in school, you learn through experience how to live in a dictatorship.” ~ Grace Llewellyn
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." ~ William Pitt
4) Values | The culture of schools impart very poor values on kids such as greed and consumerism.
“If we value independence, if we are disturbed by the growing conformity of knowledge, of values, of attitudes, which our present system induces, then we may wish to set up conditions of learning which make for uniqueness, for self-direction, and for self-initiated learning.” ~ Carl Rogers
“Artificial learning takes what is simple and natural and turns it into a complex array of objectives, goals, measurements, administrators, supervisors, counselors, and transportation experts. Natural education requires only a guide providing direction, and a learner ready to discover and create goals and values that are personally meaningful.” ~ Linda Dobson
5) Individualism | A Free Spirit is a person who thinks and acts in an uninhibited way without worrying about normal social rules: nonconformist. Schooling kills a child’s free spirit which leads to a complete lack of individual expression.
"Individuals search for truth, groups search for consensus." ~ Naval
“The reason so many people are opting out of education is that it doesn’t feed their spirit. It doesn’t feed their energy or their passion.” ~ Sir Ken Robinson
“Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.” ~ Arthur Koestler
"Independent self-reliant people would be a counterproductive anachronism in the collective society of the future where people will be defined by their associations." ~ John Dewey [The Father of American Education]
6) Experience | Schools completely deprive kids of the top four things they need in life: love, self care, connecting with nature, and free play. Kids learn from real world experience, not schooling. Parents that understand that schools do not set kids up for the real world, but actually do the exact opposite, significantly limits a child’s opportunity to learn in the real world limiting their real world experiences. Unschooling opens a child’s imagination to a world of different possibilities and allows them the freedom to pursue their passions engaging in activities that are meaningful to them. Schools are prisons that not only mentally enslave the minds of children, but also physically enslave them by forcing them to sit for long periods of time, spending hours and hours locked inside classrooms instead of playing in nature or actually experiencing the real world. School constrains learning, that is its purpose. It’s time to start living and learning outside the box!
"Homeschooled children have greater potential to work outside the box because they are educated outside the box." ~ Thomas Purifoy
“What we call education and culture is for the most part nothing but the substitution of reading for experience, of literature for life, of the obsolete fictitious for the contemporary real.” ~ George Bernard Shaw
“Our whole theory of education is based on the absurd notion that we must learn to swim on land before tackling the water.” ~ Henry Miller
“We are raised in a culture that values expertise over exploration.” ~ Nina Wise
School teaches people how to memorize dots, Unschooling connects the dots:
"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice." ~ Anton Chekhov
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” ~ Albert Einstein
“If education is always to be conceived along the same antiquated lines of a mere transmission of knowledge, there is little to be hoped from it in the bettering of man’s future.” ~ Maria Montessori
7) Bullying | If you haven’t seen the Netflix show “13 Reasons Why”, you should, because it shows the drama and bullying that are all too common at schools and how it affects everyone, even those who you don’t think would be affected. The whole culture of school is based on bullying from the top down, making kids do things they would not have done naturally takes away their choice, essentially forcing them to do something, so it’s not surprising they act out by bullying others kids because this is exactly what schools are teaching them. This is why John Holt said the following:
"Birds fly, fish swim, man thinks and learns. Therefore, we do not need to motivate children into learning by wheedling, bribing or bullying. We do not need to keep picking away at their minds to make sure they are learning. What we need to do, and all we need to do, is bring as much of the world as we can (to them); give children as much help and guidance as they ask for; listen respectfully when they feel like talking; and then get out of the way. We can trust them to do the rest." ~ John Holt, “How Children Learn”
“This idea that children won’t learn without outside rewards and penalties, or in the debased jargon of the behaviorists, “positive and negative reinforcements,” usually becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If we treat children long enough as if that were true, they will come to believe it is true. So many people have said to me, “If we didn’t make children do things, they wouldn’t do anything.” Even worse, they say, "If I weren’t made to do things, I wouldn’t do anything.
It is the creed of a slave.” ~ John Holt, [How Children Fail]
"The only time most people will experience violence in their lives is in government schools." ~ Michael Malice
“Compulsion – nonconsensual education – requires violence; it requires complete control over what students put into their brain, the people they are exposed to, the places they are authorized to be, and oftentimes, with free lunch programs, what food goes into their body. Compulsory systems are resentful of families who do not enforce homework or dress code policies; are reluctant to allow parents into its buildings except once or twice a year on special “open house” days; and fear parents who choose to homeschool.” ~ Brian Huskie, [A White Rose: A Soldier’s Story of Love, War, and School]
8) Politics | Schools are not apolitical and they could never be, most everyone working at schools are completely absorbed by politics. The entire school system and curriculum is a result of politics. The great thing about unschooling is that it is apolitical, unschoolers can rightfully choose whether to engage in politics or not. Unschooling attracts all political parties including libertarians and anarchists. When schools lean one way or another, which they all do, they become indoctrination centers for a particular political party. The reality is that most faculty are more like political activists than real unbiased teachers.
"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim." ~ Elie Wiesel
"You can’t make socialists out of individualists. Children who know how to think for themselves spoil the harmony of the collective society which is coming, where everyone is interdependent." ~ John Dewey [The Father of American Education]
9) Learned Helplessness |
"Compulsory school environment induces learned helplessness, anxiety, depression. It also inhibits creativity and it inhibits empathy." ~ Cevin Soling
10) Entrepreneurism | Parents that want to raise entrepreneurs love unschooling because it encourages all the building blocks of pursuing your passions. Children who are empowered are more much more likely to start their own businesses. Whereas schools make good employees that will feel comfortable with a job in a cubicle, unschooling creates entrepreneurs.
"Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune." ~ Jim Rohn
"I didn’t fail school, school failed me.
School fails entrepreneurs everyday,
because it’s not built for entrepreneurs,
it’s built for workers." ~ Gary Vaynerchuk
"Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people won’t, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can’t." ~ Unknown Author
"Karl Marx, a visionary, figured out that you can control a slave much better by convincing him he is an employee." ~ Nassim Nicholas Taleb
11) Recovery | Many parents are still recovering and deschooling from all the damage their schooling caused them so they don’t want to force their children into the same system of abuse.
"Don’t question your ability to teach your child. Question putting your child into the same institution that left you questioning your ability to teach your child."
"We’ve seen the evidence that shows how harmful control is to children and their development. That evidence resides not only in research, but also in our own experiences as children and adults." ~ Teresa Graham Brett
“The most potent force for change…is the growing recognition of millions of adults that their own impoverished expectations and frustrations came, in large measure, from their schooling.” ~ Marilyn Ferguson
12) Self Discovery |
“When you teach a child something you take away forever his chance of discovering it for himself.” ~ Jean Piaget
“Only if you reject all the other paths can you discover your own path.” ~ U.G. Krishnamurti, [Mind Is a Myth]
"I know of nothing more inspiring than that of making discoveries for ones self." ~ George Washington Carver
“It is a very grave mistake to think that the enjoyment of seeing and searching can be promoted by means of coercion and a sense of duty.” ~ Albert Einstein
13) Institutional Systemic Racism | Many people choose to empower their kids by unschooling them for this very reason because of major disparities in schooling across the nation.